Footsteps Through Time

Footsteps Through Time
A History of Travel and Tourism to the Victoria Falls - www.zambezibookcompany.com

Monday, 6 October 2014

Vic Falls Lodge burns to ground

Fire gutted a Victoria Falls lodge... on Wednesday night.

Tatenda Safari Lodge... is owned by Rangarirai Tatenda Gunda (61), the widow of late One Brigade commander Brigadier-General Paul Armstrong Gunda.

Gunda yesterday told Southern Eye that she was still puzzled by the fire when she and her workers cleared the charred remains of furniture and other goods destroyed by the inferno.

“Unfortunately, I don’t even know what exactly happened as I was helping with the cooking in the kitchen for the schoolchildren who were booked here. What I know is I was called and told that my house and reception were on fire,” said Gunda.

“I quickly rushed there and the whole building was engulfed in flames. We tried to put out the fire by pouring water, but the taps were dry. We later had guys from the police and fire brigade who helped us put out the fire. The fire brigade team did quite a number of trips to fetch water,” she said.

Gunda said there had been no one at the reception and her house which is attached to the reception when the fire broke out, so it was difficult for her to even speculate what could have been the cause.

“It could have been an electrical fault; who knows, because I don’t have any suspects. The kids were booked at the back lodge and were not affected; they are all quite safe,” she said.

Gunda said she had lost a lot of property to the inferno, but was determined to rebuild her lodge in a few days’ time.

“I lost quite a lot of property like laptops, generators, refrigerators, ice-makers and my entire late husband’s photos, certificates, clothing, groceries and bedding for the lodge.

“What hurt me the most was that one of the rooms was more like a museum where I had kept pictures of my late husband, in his memory. I know out there some people will be wishing that I don’t recover again, but give me three to four days, everything will be under repair. I have many clients that are coming in the next few weeks and all will be put in place very soon,” she said.

The lodge was established in 1993 as a small establishment and grew to become a self-sustaining project with 50 rooms that can accommodate more than 200 guests.

Source: 200 Kids escape death as lodge burns (NewsdzeZimbabwe (03/10/14)

No comments:

Post a Comment